Electronics & Security
Measurement & Instrumentation
Accurate estimation of time of death (TOD) for forensic medicine
Non-invasive estimation of central brain temperature for TOD estimation: high reliability and low inter-individual variability
- A head-mounted ultrasonic transducer analyses the evolution of central brain temperature during a variable time lapse (less than 30min).
As soon as the estimation is accurate, time of death is approximated with a precision down to one hour.
- Time of death measurement directly on crime scenes
- Simple to use : can be used by coroners, police officers or any first-aid team
- Most accurate estimation of time of death for recent death (< 48h)
- Noninvasive, nondestructive and completely external
- Robust and easy to use
- Very limited dependence of the TOD estimate on morphology or clothing
- Patent application pending
- Proof of concept realized: portable device currently being tested
- Technology available for licensing
- EP16305373 / 30th march 2016